Sunday, November 22, 2009

A most toxic waste

While watching the video "A Most Toxic Waste", I felt extremely sad. Guiyu is the largest electronic waste site on earth and I feel so bad for these people that have to live and work in a place that is so detrimental to their health. Not only did this video make me feel sad, but it also made me very angry. OUR pollution has essentially ruined their town of Guiyu; the environment that they live in is extremely harmful to all its inhabitants. When I heard that this town has one of the highest levels of cancer causing dioxins in the world I was shocked and saddened. No one deserves to live in a place like this and I feel bad for those that feel that they have nowhere else to go. I do not think this fair to the people that live there, considering that all the dumping of these toxins is illegal. Mothers have a much higher chance of miscarriage here; the children are growing up with lead in their blood.
n my opinion, this is completely and entirely wrong. What we are doing here is illegal and it is just a way to save wealthier countries, specifically the U.S., the high cost of disposing of their electronic trash. Eighty percent of the discarded electronic waste comes from the United States. As a highly developed country, I know we have the resources to develop a way to properly recycle technology products, especially since they are “the fastest-growing component of the municipal waste stream worldwide”. One would think that since so many people are suffering, we would accept the costs of recycling e-waste correctly. This has been going on for a long time and yet we continue to stay silent so that nobody will be held accountable. In my opinion, many people should be held accountable for this, the people that run these businesses, the companies who export the material and everyone who does not recycle. I want to know why the U.S. government is not watching this more closely, or better yet banning the exportation of e-waste. We need to figure out a way to take care of this problem, considering it is having a huge (negative) impact on certain areas just like this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment